What is Hands on San Diego?
HandsOn San Diego does the legwork to make volunteering easy for you! We engage individuals as well as small and large groups by connecting them with local nonprofit organizations where they can donate their time and talent for a variety of projects and activities.
Which are examples of volunteer opportunities?
Volunteer For Things in Your Community:
- Volunteer at your local library.
- Volunteer to chaperone a field trip.
- Volunteer with a local nonprofit.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter.
- Volunteer at a community center.
- Volunteer as a lifeguard.
- Volunteer to be a crossing guard.
- Volunteer to do social media for a local org.
How do you get into the San Diego community?
Get Involved… Volunteer!
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- American Red Cross – San Diego/Imperial Counties.
- Medical Reserve Corp.
- Senior Corps.
- Neighborhood Watch Program.
- Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters (VOAD)
Can I volunteer virtually?
Volunteering online lets you donate your virtual time to a cause space that matters, which means you can make a difference even if you can’t physically go somewhere to volunteer. Check out our list below to learn about a few different ways you can create IRL impact through online action.
How do I start volunteering?
Here are the steps you can take to volunteer in your community:
- Decide which causes you care about.
- Identify the skills and knowledge you can offer.
- Create a volunteer resume.
- Determine how often you can volunteer.
- Research volunteer opportunities in your community.
- Consider using a volunteer site.
What skills do you need to volunteer?
Here are some examples of skills volunteers need to have:
- Strong work ethic.
- Time management.
How can I help homeless in San Diego?
Familiarize yourself with the local agencies and groups that serve the homeless by researching online or by calling San Diego 2-1-1, a service that connects people with the right services. Connect homeless people with the agencies and groups that can do the deep-dive work to make a difference.
How can I help a needy family in San Diego?
Dial (619) 303-7806. San Diego Salvation Army provides a multitude of programs to assist to needy families, the unemployed, low income, seniors, youth and children.
How do I volunteer at the San Diego Zoo?
Applicants must be age 18 or older, agree to volunteer 60 hours per year, and follow the San Diego Zoo Global Volunteer policies. Volunteers fill out an online application and have an interview with the volunteer interview panel.
How do you fake volunteer hours?
- a parent volunteering and counting their hours to yours, or volunteering during your shifts so it looks as if you did it.
- ask the manager/supervisor in charge to give you extra hours.
- Have the employer write down their signature, then go and change the hours in which you volunteered.